Policies for the Eastern Veterinary Technicians Association
Policy 1. Head Office
- The office of the Association shall be in Port Hood, the province of Nova Scotia and at such place in the Atlantic Provinces as the directors may from time to time determine.
Policy 2. Corporate Seal
- The seal, an impression of which is on the cover of this copy of the EVTA bylaws, shall be the association seal. This seal shall be kept by the Executive Director of the association and be affixed on all documents of the association as deemed necessary. The signatures of either the President or Vice-President and the Secretary or any member of the Board of Directors must accompany the seal.
Policy 3. Books and Records
- 3.1 The Board of Directors shall see that all necessary books and records of the association required by the bylaws of the association or by any applicable statute or laws are regularly and properly kept.
- 3.2 Any member of the association may inspect the books and records of the association. An appointment shall be made with the Executive Director for the inspection.
Policy 4. Duties of the Board of Directors
- 4.1 Duties of other Directors, shall be outlined in the EVTA Board of Directors Job Description Manual
Policy 5. Dues and Fees
- 5.1 Changes in the annual membership fees and effective date of such changes shall be determined by the annual projected budget. An annual increase of 3% will occur.
- 5.2 Any member who does not pay his/her fees within ninety(90) days of the due(June 1st) date shall automatically cease to be a member of the association, but any such member may, on payment of all unpaid dues or fees, be reinstated upon approval of the Board of Directors. Two reminder invoices will be sent out and a final notice of membership being rescinded.
- 5.3 There shall be no refund of membership fees.
Policy 6. Committees
- 6.1 Standing committees shall be made up of a chairperson who is an active member elected by the membership and other members shall be added as deemed necessary. The following standing committees shall be constructed; Continuing Education committee, Membership committee, Disciplinary and Ethics committee and Public Relations committee. Other standings committees may be struck at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- 6.2 Special committees may be formed at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- (a) VTNE committee
- (b) Chapter liaison/President
- (c) Newsletter committee
Policy 7 Borrowing
- 7.1 The Board of Directors may from time to time:
- (a) Borrow money on the credit of the association; or
- (b) Issue, sell, or pledge securities of the Association; or
- (c) Charge, mortgage, hypothecate or pledge all or any of the real or personal property of the Association, including book depts., rights, powers, franchises and undertakings to secure payment and securities of any money borrowed or other debt, or any obligation or liability of the Association;
- (d) Authorize any director, office or employee of the Association or any other person to make arrangements with reference to the monies borrowed or to be borrowed as aforesaid and as to the terms and conditions of the loan thereof, and as to the securities to be given thereof, with power to vary or modify such arrangements, terms and conditions and to give such additional securities for any monies borrowed or remaining due by the Association as the Board of Directors may authorize, and generally to manage, transact and settle the borrowing of money by the Association.
Policy 8 Awards
- 8.1 Veterinary Technology Student Award - Annual awards will be presented to Veterinary Technology students at educational institutionswithin the Atlantic Provinces. The award value is $100.00CA and a Littman™ Stethoscope. The criteria for winning the award will be set out by the EVTA board. The selection of the recipient shall be the responsibility of the EVTA board. This is an annual award to be presented at the institution’s convocation ceremony.
- 8.2 The EVTA Technician of the Year award shall be presented at the Annual General Meeting. The Executive Director shall be responsible for the dissemination and receiving of Nomination forms. Nomination forms are to be forwarded to members and veterinary clinics no later than 6 weeks prior to the AGM. The recipient of the award shall be chosen by the Board of Directors. This is an annual award to be presented at the AGM.
- 8.3 The Recognition Award - Veterinarian - The recipient of this award will be chosen by the Board of Directors. The timing of the award is not annual. The award would be presented at the AGM.
- 8.4 The Recognition Award - Sponsor: The recipient company of this award will be chosen by the EVTA Board of Directors. Selection will reflect the level of support exercised by the company. This is an annual award which will be presented at the AGM.
Policy 9 Expense Claims
- 9.1 The Board of Directors may be reimbursed for lost wages, gas expenses for travel to and from meetings, and the cost of any materials necessary for efficient functioning of the board and committees. To receive reimbursement the individual must submit receipts and complete an expense form. Reimbursementfor other expenditures may be awarded at the discretion of the board.